Saturday, December 13, 2014

Astghik Movsisyan's family



This family of seven was in the middle of renovating their living room and kitchen when Habitat arrived. The family consists of grandparents, Astghik Movsisyan, her husband, and their three children, ages 4, 10, and 12. The house is small; it has a narrow hallway that leads into the living room, and to the right, a kitchen. There’s currently three bedrooms, one for the grandparents, one for the parents, one for the two children, and the oldest sleeps on the sofa in the living room. To keep warm in the winter, everyone gathers into the living room and sleeps around the woodstove.

The first thing our team noticed was the paintings mounted on the wall and the creative glass design on each bedroom door. This is my first time entering a home that is unlike the other traditional Armenian home.
When I was young, my parents introduced me to art, and I want to inspire and pass this to my children. Art is a great form of expression, and hobby,” said Mr. Movsisyan.




Mr. Movsisyan is a migrant construction worker, and his wife is a homemaker. This house was built in 1963, and the intention is for the home to continue to stay in the family.
“I am so thankful for Habitat’s low income loan. Without it, I will not be able to renovate my home to make it safer for my family. It is hard to work oversea and leave my wife, aging parents, and young children in Armenia. But after this renovation, I will feel better about my absent.”
It was refreshing to meet such a creative family and the love Mr. Movsisyan has for his family is apparent. Our team looks forward to these field visits because of families like the Movsisyans.

Until next time, keep thinking positive thoughts!
Love,
Toquyen Doan
Peace Corps Volunteer
Armenia 2013-2015

No comments:

Post a Comment